MapleSlot loves online roulette and if you love it, too, you know exactly why we do! That said, for those of you Canucks who are new to this classic table game thrill, we’ve created this page to provide you with all the essential information you need to know to familiarize yourself with roulette online and get started. This includes the fundamental rules and bets, information about the many variants you’ll find on the web and mobile as well as how easy it is to find and enjoy free roulette!
Check out the best online roulette in Canada at these amazing sites!
- play 700+
- play 800+
- play 450+
- play 700+
- play 2000+
- play 1000+
- play 459+
- play 850+
- play 200+
Roulette Online in Canada – A True North Favourite
Online roulette is, without question, one of the most popular and beloved casino games among Canadian gamblers who prefer testing their luck via the convenience of their desktop computer, laptop, tablet or smartphone. Paying online casino roulette is always a thrill, regardless of whether you play roulette free, roulette for real money or you want to experience this epic game of chance in a live casino.
How roulette games got their start in Canada
Roulette is an old game and there are a number of theories about how it got its start, with many historians believing it was invented by monks. That being said, one of the most commonly accepted origins is that the roots of the game we know today are French. Casino roulette is said to be invented by Blaise Pascal, a French scientist, in the 17th century. The first real game was played in a French casino and the word “roulette” is French for “small wheel.”
After gaining popularity in France, the game quickly spread throughout Europe, made its way to England and then eventually to North America and Canada. Canadian roulette increased in popularity with the birth of land-based casinos in our country in the 20th century and accelerated to new levels of popularity once Canadians could play roulette online.
Why do Canadians love to play online roulette?
- Easy to play – Roulette is one of the easiest casino games to play. Even without knowing all the rules and odds, you can play this game of chance and understand the gist of how to play it. It’s a fast, fun and social game that can be as challenging or casual as you want it to be.
- More than one type of roulette game – There are several variations of roulette, including American Roulette, European Roulette, Mini Roulette, French Roulette and more. With so many different games, Canadians aren’t like to get bored!
- Different strategies can be used when playing – If you just want to randomly bet on red or black or if you want to follow a more complex strategy, you can with roulette. Your options on how to play are wide open.
- Convenience – What’s not to love about being able to access amazing games of roulette 24/7/365? Morning, noon or night you can play your faves for free or for real money without having to visit a land-based casino. Heck! You can gamble in your pjs if you want to!
- Play on mobile – With a smartphone you can take roulette action with you no matter where you may roam. Easily access games, free, real money and live via your mobile browser or via an iOS or Android app if your preferred Canadian casino offers this benefit!
- Play live games – Enjoy live games of roulette with human croupiers! There’s no better way to experience a real-world game of roulette outside a brick-and-mortar casino.
- Play with Canadian dollar – Make your roulette bets with CA$ and get your wins in CAD currency, too! Plus, top casinos in Canada, like the ones we recommend, also typically offer great payment options for making deposits, like Interac!
- Play for free – You can play roulette free online, risk-free, any time. Try out a new strategy or just play for fun.
How to Play Roulette
Whether you play roulette online free or try your luck at a real money version, you’ll find that this is one of the easiest casino games you will ever learn how to play. Essentially, it’s simply a matter of placing your bet on the roulette table and watching the ball move around the spinning roulette wheel until it comes to its final resting spot to reveal the outcome.
The wheel in European Roulette, which is the most common version of roulette played in Canada and around the world, has 37 numbered slots -- 0 to 36. The numbered slots between 1 – 36 are alternately coloured red and black, with only the 0 slot coloured green.
The wheel is accompanied by a roulette table with a minimum and maximum bet. There are several betting options, with each option featuring its own payout rate. The table is split up into the Outside Betting Table, which is sometimes green in colour. In this area, you will find all the grouped bets (e.g. Red, Black, Even, Odd, etc.) The other area is the Inside Betting Table, which consists of a grid marked with the numbers 1 through 36, with each one circled red or black to correspond with the number on the wheel.
The gameplay is controlled by the dealer, who can also be referred to as a croupier. It is the croupier’s job to keep the action moving, announcing bets and outcomes. The croupier prompts the players when its time for them to place their bets. From there, the action focuses on the wheel, which the croupier will spin before dropping a small ball into the wheel.
Multiple players can play at once and the object of the game is to win your bet by correctly predicting where on the wheel the ball will ultimately land.
Basic Roulette Rules & Bets
Here’s a step by step look at fundamental online roulette gameplay:
- Place your bet by selecting the chip size with which you’d like to bet. Click on the table layout to place your bet.
- There are numerous bets you can make in roulette, such as:
|Roulette Bet Types||Payout Rate|
|Red/Black – Bet covers red or black numbers||1:1|
|Even/Odd – Bet covers even or odd numbers||1:1|
|Low Number – Bet covers numbers between 1 -- 18||1:1|
|High Number – Bet covers numbers between 19 -- 36||1:1|
|Column – Bet coves 12 numbers||2:1|
|Dozen – Bet covers 12 numbers||2:1|
|Line -- Bet covers 6 numbers in 2 rows||5:1|
|Basket -- Bet covers 1, 2, 3, and 0||6:1|
|Corners – Bet covers 4 numbers||8:1|
|Street – Bet covers 3 numbers in a row||11:1|
|Split – Bet splits 2 numbers||17:1|
|Straight Up – Placing a bet on a single number||35:1|
3. Once the bets have been placed, click the “Spin” button or if the game is live, the croupier will spin it manually and drop the ball into the wheel.
4. The ball will either settle into a slot before the wheel comes to a stop or it will settle in a slot once the wheel has come to a stop.
5. If you correctly predicted the outcome, you will be a winner and the croupier will issue your payout based on the payout rate that corresponds with the bet you placed and the size of your bet.
That’s all there is to it!
Keep in mind that while most versions of roulette you might come across at Canadian casino sites are based on the above rules, it’s always a good idea to check the rules of the game you play to make certain you know what to expect, what bets you can make, etc. Having a good grasp on the specific variant you choose improves your odds of playing it optimally!
Types of Roulette Online
When you find the Canada-friendly roulette sites that you like, you will quickly discover that there are several versions for you to try, some that you might recognize and others that may be brand new to you. With that in mind, when it all comes down to it, online roulette can be classified in three categories: free online roulette, real money online roulette, and live roulette.
How to Play Roulette Online for Free
If you haven’t already guessed, a free roulette game is any game of roulette that you can play without having to make a real money wager. In other words, you don’t need to deposit money into your casino account and use this money to make a bet. It costs you nothing to play. The chips and bankroll you are assigned in the game are 100% virtual and have zero monetary value.
Of course, since it costs you nothing to play roulette games for free online, this also means that you can’t win real money either. Playing gratis gives you the advantage of practicing and playing for fun whenever you want.
Here’s how to enjoy online roulette for free:
- Find a secure Canadian online casino that offers roulette games (check out any of the casinos in our list. We only recommend secure, reputable and legal sites)
- Head to the casinos “Table Games” or “Roulette” category to see what’s available*
- Select the virtual game you want to play and launch the game by clicking/tapping “Demo”, “Try it for Free”, “Practice”, etc. The game should load instantly in your web or mobile browser.**
- Select the amount you would like to bet.
- Place your chips on the table.
- Click/Tap “Spin” to activate the wheel
- Wait for the outcome
*Sometimes you might need to first register a free account with the casino to be able to demo their games. Don’t worry, you won’t need to make a deposit, once you’re registered you should have full access to all available free games.
**Live dealer roulette is not available for free play. You can access the live casino and watch games taking place, but you cannot take part unless you are a real money player.
How to Play Roulette Online for Real Money
Online roulette for real money is played identically to free roulette with one major exception, instead of using play virtual money, you’re actually funding the bets you make with your own money or with casino bonus credits you received after making a deposit. The other notable difference is that when you choose the real money option, you can also play roulette in the live casino.
Here’s how to play real money roulette online:
- Choose a secure and legit Canada casino that has roulette games and also offers you the option of depositing and playing in CA$ (again we recommend checking our list of top trusted casinos for your quick convenience).
- Register a free account and make your first deposit.*
- Head to the “Table Games”, “Roulette” or “Live Casino” section in the lobby.
- Select the game you want to play and launch it in your web or mobile browser.
- Select the amount you would like to bet (remember, this is real betting, do not bet beyond your means).
- Place your chips on the table.
- Click/Tap “Spin” to activate the wheel or wait for the croupier to spin the wheel in the live casino.
- Wait for the outcome.
*If you have the option of claiming a welcome offer you may want to consider it as it could include a roulette bonus (a deposit bonus you can play on roulette games)!
Tops 4 Reasons Why Canadians like to Play Free Roulette Online
Sure, playing for real money is exciting, but many Canadians actually like playing roulette for free. Here’s why:
- Play risk-free. Any time you want, play for fun with no strings attached
- Brush up on your skills – Want to try a new variation? Maybe you want to master European Roulette. Whatever the case, you can practice until your heart is content via your computer or on mobile without ever worrying about betting and losing real cash.
- Try out different strategies – Want to see if strategies like the famous Martingale work? Don’t spend your hard-earned dollars discovering a strategy is not as simple as it seems. If you’re going to make mistakes, it’s best not to pay for them!
- Play for fun – Roulette is FUN! Sometimes, you just want to play because you want to enjoy it for the love of the game and not because you care about the chance at winning actual money.
Live roulette online is one of the most popular types of live casino entertainment. There’s nothing quite like playing roulette with a live human croupier, exactly as it would be if you were in a land-based casino.
This professional dealer controls the action of the game, prompting players to place their best and interacting with players via live chat the entire time. Running 24/7, live roulette games can be accessed via your PC or your mobile device, with the most popular live gambling studios powered by industry award winners, Evolution Gaming and NetEnt Live.
To play roulette in a live casino, simply follow the above step-by-step “how to play” rules for real money roulette.
Perks of playing live casino roulette
Some of the advantages include:
- Interacting with pro live dealers, including real-time chat
- Perfectly synchronized sound and HD video stream to your preferred device
- Multiple camera views
- Play up to four tables in the same window
- Easy-to-use interface
- Save your favourite bets
- View games in landscape or portrait mode on mobile
- Different game variants
Roulette Game Variations
The following are the most common versions of online roulette:
- European Roulette – Played with single zero “0” roulette wheel and allows Neighbour Bets.
- American Roulette – Only roulette game with a wheel that has two zero slots a single “0” and a double “00”. This version of the game is commonly played in Las Vegas casinos.
- French Roulette – Uses a single zero wheel and allows Call Bet and Neighbour Bets as well as has a special rule called “La Partage”, which allows you to make an even-money bet, and if the ball lands on the zero slot, you lose only half your bet instead of the whole thing.
- Mini Roulette – This version only has 13 slots and uses the “La Partage” option to help improve your odds.
- Mulit-Wheel Roulette – Play up to eight roulette wheels at the same time.
Strategy: Top Online Roulette Tips for Canadian Players
While online roulette games may be easy to play, one of the reasons that Canadians tend to have a fondness for this table game is that there are a number of strategies that can be applied to it to keep the game interesting.
Many people who play are looking for a roulette strategy that works. The good news is that that there are many roulette strategies in existence and you might find some of them helpful to your gameplay. If you’re interested in learning more about some of these tactics, check out our Roulette guide to get the low down on the top types of free roulette strategy! (to link to the future guides page).
That being said, here are a few tips to keep in mind that you may find useful as you’re getting used to the game:
- Always play roulette for free first – With the exception of live casino roulette, you can play just about every virtual variant of the game you come across online for free. Take advantage of this fact and learn the game at your own pace with no risk involved. Familiarize yourself with the different bets and practice a strategy or two.
- You can make the same bets as other players – Each player has different coloured chips to differentiate themselves from their opponents. You can make any bet you want, even if another player has made the same one.
- Opt for a single-zero wheel – While you might be interested in American Roulette, which has two designated zero slots – “0” and “00”, the house edge is higher (5.26%) than the single-zero wheel (2.70%).
- Take your time – Roulette is designed to be a leisurely game. Think before you bet. There’s no need to rush your decision. Having fun is paramount to this game.
- Sit out from the action every so often – If you’re betting real money, take a break from the game every once in a while. If you’re playing against the computer, close the game. If you’re playing in a live casino, simply choose not to bet for a few rounds and watch the gameplay.
- Stay in control of your money – The very best roulette strategy is to stay in control of your bankroll at all times. Set limits and stick to them. Never forget that roulette is a game based solely on luck. No matter what strategy you might learn, there is no fool proof method you can apply that will guarantee a win. Only bet what you can afford to lose.
Online Roulette – Final Thoughts
Roulette online is a must-play game for any Canadian who wants to enjoy classic casino thrills at its finest. This elegant game has stood the test of time for being fun, social and easy to play. With different variations to experience for free, real money and live play on desktop and mobile, you can enjoy roulette your way, whenever you want, wherever you want.
Want to try free roulette online today? Take your pick of the incredible casinos in our list offering you this premium entertainment right now!
Yes! You can make real money wagers on both virtual and live versions of roulette online when you are registered with a legal iGaming destination that offers this form of entertainment.
No. It doesn’t matter if you are playing a virtual game that is controlled by RNG (Random Number Generator) software or you are playing in a live casino, games are not rigged. This would be illegal and is not permitted at casino businesses that are licensed and regulated by gambling regulators. That is why it is imperative that you play at a brand that is legitimate.
There are several strategies, with the most important being to remember that it is a game of chance. Always stay in control of your money. That being said for more information about gameplay strategies, visit our roulette strategy page.
Absolutely! Several Canadian casinos offer welcome bonuses and other ongoing perks that can award you with casino credits that you can use as real money on roulette games.
There isn’t one. Bets that give you a 1:1 payout rate (e.g. Even/Odd, Red/Black, etc.) may have the best odds but there is never any guarantee that they’ll win. The “0” on the wheel always tips the odds in favor of the casino.
The best site is one that is legal, provides a wide range of real money and free roulette games, a decent range of promotions, supports CAD currency, has trusted payment options, reliable support, and swift payouts. Don’t know where to find a casino that fits the bill? Check out any of the ones in our above list or that we’ve reviewed. We only recommend the very best to our fellow Canadians!